Description about GingerBreak ApkThe GingerBreak APK is a wrapper around the newly released GingerBreak exploit (credits to The Android Exploid Crew), which is meant to attain root access on GingerBread. This specific exploit may work on various Froyo and Honeycomb versions as well.
What the APK and exploit do is as follows:
- The APK puts the right files in the right place to run the exploit
- The APK runs the exploit
- The exploit attempts to attain root access
- If it succeeds, the exploit remounts /system as read-write and runs the installer script
- The installer script attempts to install the su binary and superuser APK, and reboots
Some important things to know:
- You must have USB debugging enabled on your device
- You need to have an SD card (formatted and) inserted - if it doesn't work, try formatting the SD card in your computer, or switching it with a different (or old, etc) SD card
- The APK must be installed to device, NOT SD card
- The exploit may take a while to run, but not more than 10 minutes, if it does, get me a logcat, and reboot the device. In rare occasions, even if the device does not reboot, you may still have root. So check that out after you manually pull battery after 15 minutes or so of being stuck.
- Always reboot between root attempts!
- While (temporary?) root access may be attained, due to locked bootloaders, efuses, S-ON, and whatnot this may still not work on your device. For temproot purposes, use the raw binary exploit (linked below), not this APK.
- The GingerBreak exploit should not be used to attain temproot and continue using the device. It fscks vold, you do not want to be running like that. You want to reboot! So if the root doesn't stick, you (still) have a problem.